Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Weekend of Florence Essentials

I spent this past weekend in Florence.
On Thursday night I went to to dinner at a traditional Tuscan restaurant with Megan and her parents who were in town for the weekend. Usually the menus at restaurants have at least some English but this menu did not... so we had the man who was the server for the restaurant reccomend things. He brought us AMAZING fresh tomatoes and mozzarella. I think I died a little and went to heaven when I was eating it. I got cheese stuffed tortellini in a lemon cream sauce that was equally as delicious.
On Friday I went to the Uffizi museumn which has quite the extensive collection of famous paintings. If I had to pick my single favorite in the museum it would be, hands down, Botticelli's Birth of Venus.
It was so striking in person!
On Saturday I met up with Katie and Lauren (from Minnesota) to take them to the market. My orientation through Kent State was much more in depth so I wanted to share some of the places we learned about with them. They were amused by all the different meats. One of the vendors noticed us pointing and eww-ing at the trepa (cow stomach) so he decided to show us the other parts he had for sale including the brain, spleen, liver, testical, and fallopian tube. We learned from him that you cook cow brain by frying it with some olive oil. I don't think I'll be trying that anytime soon though.
After the market we went to the Chocolate Festival that was in Florence for the past two weeks. The festival was in the piazza in front of Santa Croce (one of the churches).
Loads and loads of chocolate!
I had a chocolate cannoli :)
There were flag throwers and a marching band performing at the chocolate festival.
After the chocolate festival we went to the Accademia to see the real David!
He was a lot bigger in person than what I was thinking he was going to be.
I planned a progressive dinner for the Interior Design girls on Sunday Night. I think I miss planning things for the sorority so I had to find something to plan here. My room was in charge of the appetizers.
We had tomatoes and mozzarella (inspired by Thursday's dinner) and crackers and cheese for those who weren't fans of tomatoes. The other rooms were a wine room, an entree room, and a dessert room. The entree room made spaghetti and meatballs from scratch. I give them an A+! The dessert room made an Italian pudding with cookies and whipped cream that was tasty as well.
Me with some of the girls at the progessive dinner. It was a fun evening especially since all of us girls haven't gotten together since the first night. We are planning to do another progressive dinner in March and possibily having it be American themed. Yum!
This weekend I will be going to Rome for my study tours class... yep, I'm getting credit to travel around Italy :) I'm sure I will have lots of pictures and stories to share in my next post!
Ciao,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment