Somehow its already time for midterms. I can't believe two months have gone by already! I guess its about time I have to dedicate a blog post to school since that is what I'm here for after all.
On Thursday Megan and I presented our project which went well. The critics gave us some new ideas of things to consider and ways to improve our project.
On Friday I got together with some of the Architecture students for a potluck dinner. We had salad, foccaica bread with an oil pesto dip, chicken fried rice, margherita pizza, a baked apple dessert, and a cake!
On Saturday I met up with Katie (my friend from Minnesota) for lunch. We went to a place by my school that has a different menu everyday so everything is actually made that day. We both tried Ribollita, a Tuscan specialty, and had very satisfied stomachs! Ribollita is a thick soup that means re-boiled and uses the 'left-overs' from the night before. It has all different kinds of vegetables and pieces of Tuscan bread (Tuscan bread is unsalted). I've decided that the 'hole in the wall' restaurants in Italy are much better than the large restaurants that are found in piazzas.
On Friday I got together with some of the Architecture students for a potluck dinner. We had salad, foccaica bread with an oil pesto dip, chicken fried rice, margherita pizza, a baked apple dessert, and a cake!
On Saturday I met up with Katie (my friend from Minnesota) for lunch. We went to a place by my school that has a different menu everyday so everything is actually made that day. We both tried Ribollita, a Tuscan specialty, and had very satisfied stomachs! Ribollita is a thick soup that means re-boiled and uses the 'left-overs' from the night before. It has all different kinds of vegetables and pieces of Tuscan bread (Tuscan bread is unsalted). I've decided that the 'hole in the wall' restaurants in Italy are much better than the large restaurants that are found in piazzas.
The rest of my weekened was filled with studying. I have midterms in my History of Interiors and Italian Art and a final in my Italian class this week (my Italian language class only runs for half the semester). I felt it was only appropriate to post pictures of my school. Enjoy the tour!
The very nondescript entrance to the school. The school has five floors. The first floor is just an entrance area. Simone (the IT guy) sits on the mezzanine between the first and second floors. The second floor has the lecture hall, a lounge area, the interior design studio, and about five classrooms. There is another mezzanine between the second and third floor that has a table and some vending machines. The third floor has the library, a printing area, and an Architecture studio. There is another mezzanine between the third and fourth floor that is used for storage. The fourth floor has two Architecture studios. And the fifth and final top floor has administrative offices.
The interior design studio space. At Kent all the ID and Architecture students get a desk assigned to them that they can keep all of their work at. It's nice to not have to carry everything back and forth from my apartment!
The library. (Note the sliding ladder!!)
The lecture hall. I don't know who picked out the chairs but they aren't very comfortable especially during a 2hr 30min lecture.
The lounge area on the second floor.
Another lounge area in the mezzanine between the second and third floor.
The building the school is in is called Palazzo Cerchi (the palace of the Cerchi family). The Cerchi (pronounced Chair-key) family became wealthy from their commerical and banking activities. The family owned the building during the 13th century until their wealth faded. The history of the palace is unknown until the 15th century when the building was used as a studio for Renaissance painters. At the end of the 19th century the palace again became privately owned. The palace was empty and unused from 1982 until 2003 when Kent State bought it to use for their Florence Program.Alright now off to studying!
Ciao,
Hannah
No comments:
Post a Comment