Thursday, January 20, 2011

Classroom Location: Florence

I have now met all of my professors... and I'm happy to say that I am excited to have all of them! One of the things I am most excited about is being immersed in we are learning about. Instead of sitting in a classroom learning about the Renaissance from pictures in a slide show I get to take a tour of a palace that was built during that time period. It is such a great learning opportunity!
I had my first Italian Art class and it turns out my professor has appeared in shows on the History Channel. He taught us about the start of Florence (while sitting at the exact point that marked the middle of the original city).
Piazza della Republica where the city of Florence was started.
Later in the day with my History of Interiors course we toured Palazzo Vecchio. It was originally Florence's forum but then it was taken over by the Medici family and turned into their (not so humble) abode. It is now used as a museum and for government offices. It is where the mayor works. Our tour was guided by a staff member so we got to go into some spaces that aren't open to the public.
The great room used for entertaining which is now used for speechs, large meetings, etc.
The ceiling of the great room composed of 39 oil paintings and over 200,000 gold coins that were used to make the gold leafing.
Our tour guide took us above the ceiling to show us the structure that supported all the weight from the paintings.
The ceiling in one of the rooms... so elaborate (and expensive!)
Can you find the secret door? It led to a room requested by the woman Cosimo I married after his wife died. It was where she kept all her prized possessions and it was shaped like a treasure chest.
The ceiling in her 'treasure chest.' 
A secret window that overlooked the great room.
After going back into the great room we found the secret window.
Having Florence has the location of a class definitely has its perks. Hannah's kitchen is about to open... gotta go!
Ciao ciao,
Hannah

1 comment:

  1. Han! All of these pictures are absolutely AMAZING- I can't believe you're living there for the next four months! What a better way to study history than tour the monuments and explore such a historic place. Can't wait to see more!!

    ReplyDelete