I can't believe another week of classes has come and gone!
On Tuesday in my interior design studio we went and saw the site for our project.
This is just the main area of the space. We have a lot more space for our retail store than what I was expecting (there was even a basement). My partner and I are going to do a space with a restaurant, kitchen ware, and cooking classes.
On Wednesday, I visited Stana Croce with my Italian Art class and then went to Palazzo Pitti with my History of Interiors class.
This picture doesn't do justice to the size of the building. Palazzo Pitti was owned by the Medici family so it was another grand, expensive palace in their collection.
Thursday was another day of classes. I had my first test in Converstational Italian and it was easy peasy. I sketched Piazza della Signoria during Sketching and Drawing. Sitting outside for 2 hours sketching was a little fridged but I was happy with my end drawing so it was worth it.
My roommates and I were originally planning on going to Siena on Sunday but it was supposed to be raining/snowing so we made the split decision to head to Siena on Friday.
Thursday was another day of classes. I had my first test in Converstational Italian and it was easy peasy. I sketched Piazza della Signoria during Sketching and Drawing. Sitting outside for 2 hours sketching was a little fridged but I was happy with my end drawing so it was worth it.
My roommates and I were originally planning on going to Siena on Sunday but it was supposed to be raining/snowing so we made the split decision to head to Siena on Friday.
Il Campo. It is a shell-shaped piazza that is surrounded by restaurants and cafes that overlook the clock tower and Palazzo Pubblico. Twice a summer there are horse races around the edge of the piazza.
Palazzo Pubblico and the clock tower. It used to be the location of Siena's Council and is still used today for government offices.
Walking up one of the many sets of stairs/hills in Siena.
Siena is a hillside city unlike Florence which is a located on flat land. I learned in my Italian Art class that Roman cities are usually flat and cities started by the native people are located on hillsides for protection. The Romans were able to build on flat land since they were the ones doing all the attacking.
I loved how the pigeon was perched in the hole between these two windows.
The Duomo. This is one of the few Gothic cathedrals of the Alps.
Everywhere you turn in Siena gives you an amazing view of the city. It was remarkable!
A panorama from the other side of the city from Piazza della Liberta.
In Siena was the first time I've seen a mall in Italy. It was three floors but it could not compare in size to our malls in the United States. The top floor was a food court area with four restaurants. The middle floor had one restaurant and about five stores. The bottom floor had a supermarket in one corner and about ten stores.
Other firsts in Siena: I saw a school! In Florence I see groups of children going to tour museums and what not but I've never seen an actual school. Siena also had an ice skating rink in one of the piazzas.
Overall it was a great last minute decision!
Saturday was grocery shopping day. At the market if you go back to the same vendors they begin to remember you. The women I go to for my cheese are starting to remember me (probably because I love cheese so much) and today they were trying to moonwalk and asked me if they were doing it right. It was quite entertaining!
Saturday night my roommates and I got tickets to see a ballet of A Midsummer Night's Dream. I read the play senior year of high school so I was very excited to go see it as a ballet!
Teatro del Maggio. Saturday night was the showing that was the least crowded so we got to sit in 38 euro seats instead of our original 11 euro seats.
Megan and I waiting for the ballet to begin.
The dancers taking a final bow.
And that sums up my third week!
Arrivederci,
Hannah
No comments:
Post a Comment